The U.S. Census Bureau’s County Business Patterns (CBP) data includes only data on businesses that have employees on their payroll. But, in 2016, only 23.8% of the 32,570,855 establishments in the United States had paid employees. This means the remaining 76.2% of establishments were non-employers or establishments that don’t have any paid employees. And those data come from the 2016 Non-employer Statistics (NES).
The three states with the largest number of non-employer establishments are Texas (79.5%), Georgia (79.4%) and Florida (79.0%). North Dakota is the only state where more than 30% of the establishments have paid employees. Continue reading