The 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV will go on sale later this year with an EPA-estimated range of 238 miles (383 kM) from its 60 kWh battery pack that is made in Korea. The 2016 Nissan Leaf with an optional 30 kWh battery provides an EPA-estimated range of 107 miles – a 27% increase compared to the standard 24 kWh battery, which has a range of 84 miles. Tesla holds the record by far at 315 miles, but it’s a $135,000+ sedan.
Chevy says the Bolt will have an expected MSRP starting below $37,500. This compares to the Nissan Leaf at $29,000 to $37,000. These prices do not include, tax, title, license or optional equipment.
GM is hoping a taxpayer subsidy via a federal tax credit of up to $7,500 will make the EV saleable in what is currently a moribund market segment. Actual savings from the federal government depend on individual income and tax brackets, of course, on all EVs. Year-to-date Nissan has sold 7,922 Leaf EVs in the U.S. market, which is tracking above 17 million units annually. That’s a -36% decline year-over-year.
Bolt EV arrives at “select” Chevrolet dealerships in late 2016, joining the Chevrolet Volt and Malibu Hybrid vehicles. Aside from Leaf, key competitors include the BMW i3, Ford Focus Electric, Kia Soul EV, VW eGolf and Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric.
The Renault-Nissan Alliance, is the world’s leader in EVs, of course, accounting for half of the EVs sold worldwide. It has sold more than 350,000 electric vehicles since December 2010 when the Nissan Leaf went on sale. The Alliance passed a milestone in August by setting an industry record of 100,000 EVs sold in a single year. The Nissan Leaf remains the industry’s best-selling EV ever, with more than 230,000 units sold globally. Renault is the best-performing EV brand in Europe.
Some of AutoInformed on Bolt and EVs
- Chevy Bolt to be Bolted Together in Michigan
- Bolt EV Engineering, Manufacturing Outsourced to LG in Korea
- Chevrolet Bolt Debuts into a Moribund EV Market
- Chevrolet Bolt – Rerun Debut at NAIAS after CES
- 2017 Bolt EV Has Aggressive Regenerative Braking
- First 118 MPGe Honda Fit EV Delivered in California
- Chevrolet Bolt EV Concept – A Tesla for Working People
- Tesla Model S P100D 100 kWH Battery has Range of 315 MilesDiesel Coffin Nails – EVs to Takeover in SoCal Freight Yards
- FMC to Triple Lithium Hydroxide Output – Betting on EVs, Hybrids
- Ghosn Trumpets Need for More EVs in IMPA New York Auto Show Opening Speech as Nissan Introduces Gas Guzzlers
- Audi, Lagging in EVs, Inks Deal with LG Chem, SamsunAutomakers Boosting Power of Onboard Chargers for EVs
- Eight States Want 3.3 Million EVs on U.S. Roads by 2025. Here Come More Subsidies for the Rich
- Nissan’s “No Charge to Charge” Aims to Revive EV Sales
- Milestones – Renault Nissan sells 100,000 EVs
- Nissan Cuts Leaf Price by $6,400 for the now U.S.-Assembled EV
- Milestones – Nissan Begins Assembly of 2013 Leaf EV in Tennessee