Nissan in North America is changing leadership positions in R&D, Marketing and Sales Finance functions as part of the aftermath of the Ghosn scandal. The future of the so-called alliance of Nissan, Renault and Mitsubishi is in question since November when Ghosn, then chairman of all three companies, was in Japan.
Japanese prosecutors have accused him of hiding his compensation and shifting personal investment losses to Nissan’s books. Ghosn denying the charges, claims Nissan executives who opposed closer ties to Renault went to Japanese authorities with false charges. Adding to the intrigue, Ghosn remains on the Board of Directors at all three companies.
The Ghosn matter is far from over. Not only is his reputation besmirched, but Japanese corporate governance and so-called Japanese judicial practices are under scrutiny for their questionable aspects. The future of the Alliance remains in question. The latest moves follow:
In North America Chris Reed, vice president, Platform and Technology Engineering, is promoted to the role of senior vice president, Research and Development, Nissan Technical Center North America (NTCNA). Reed replaces Takeshi Yamaguchi, who was named corporate vice president and Alliance global vice president, Customer Performance & Computer Aided Engineering / Test Engineering.
Masami Honma, general manager, Body Engineering, Nissan Motor Co. is joining NTCNA as vice president, Platform and Technology Engineering, replacing Reed.
Allyson Witherspoon, general manager, Global Brand Engagement returns to North America and is promoted to vice president, Nissan Marketing Communications & Media. Witherspoon replaces Jeremy Tucker who has elected to leave Nissan to pursue other opportunities.
Shishir Bhushan, managing director, Nissan Renault Financial Services India, is named vice president, Operations, Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.
Steve Milette, currently regional vice president, Nissan Canada, Inc. (NCI) is promoted to president, NCI. He replaces Joni Paiva, who will become regional vice president, Marketing and Sales, for Nissan’s Africa, Middle East and India (AMI) region.
See AutoInformed.com on:
- Was 2008 the Year When Carlos Ghosn Went Rogue? Ghosn’s Former Speechwriter on What He Did for Nissan – And What That Did to Him
- Predictably – So-Called Tokyo “Court” Secretly Prolongs Detention of Carlos Ghosn by 10 Days According to TV Asahi
- Nissan Chairman Carlos Ghosn Arrested and About to be Sacked by Board for Financial Misconduct. Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance Position Threatened.
- Carlos Ghosn Given Temporary Reprieve by Renault Board
- Nissan Board Deletes Carlos Ghosn as Chairman and Director
- Ghosn, Kelly and Nissan Motor Corp. Indicted for Violating the Japan Financial Instruments and Exchange Act
- Renault Board Investigation Backs Ghosn. Governance Measures Stay in Place. Compensation Controversy Ongoing
- Japanese Scrooges Run Amok as Carlos Ghosn Re-Arrested. Christmas Locked Up for the Gaijin!
- Nissan Mired in Japanese Corporate Governance Scandals
- Significant Automotive Stories and Trends of 2018 and 2019