General Motors is recalling 556,399 2019-2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500, and 2020 Silverado 2500, Silverado 3500, Sierra 2500, and Sierra 3500 vehicles equipped with carpet floor covering. These are among GM’s most popular best-selling models and might be the reason took a large Q3 charge against earnings.
When the front seat belt pretensioners deploy, hot gas may vent through an opening in the pretensioner bracket, possibly igniting the cotton fibers in the carpet. GM has been aware of the potential problem since July of this year. ZF is the supplier.
GM will notify owners, and dealers will – at some point – close off the opening in the pretensioner bracket, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule.
- Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020 or GMC customer service at 1-888-988-7267. GM’s number for this recall is N192270600.
- Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153) or go to www.safercar.gov.
Models Equipped with Carpet Floor Covering – RPO B30:
- 2019-2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (New Model)
- 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500
- 2019-2020 GMC Sierra 1500 (New Model)
- 2020 GMC Sierra 2500/3500