Subaru of America has a new creative campaign centered around the launch of the all-new 2019 Ascent. The new advertising spots showcase the automaker’s latest three-row crossover/station wagon – the largest Subaru in history designed to compete with crossover SUVs. The ads state the obvious about the whole growing category – versatility, comfort, and safety.
Right now there are ~300 nameplates on sale in the U.S. Coming in the crossover segment by the turn of this decade are another ~70 in a market forecast to decrease to 15.7 million units annually. This will ring the bell on a battle royale in the marketplace particularly when record numbers of off-lease vehicles are due to appear. Ad in expected rises in interest rates and a market free-for-all will ensue.
Built on the new Subaru Global Platform that debuted on the 2016 Impreza, Ascent has driver assist technologies that are part of the industry’s move to autonomous vehicles. They are standard on every trim level of Ascent. It’s dubbed EyeSight Driver Assist Technology:
- Automatic Pre-Collision Braking,
- Adaptive Cruise Control,
- Lane Departure and Sway Warning,
- Pre-Collision Throttle Management,
- EyeSight Assist Monitor (EAM) which provides a heads-up display of the EyeSight system warnings as well as system status information on the windshield of the vehicle.
- Blind Spot Detection with Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are also available.
The Ascent is an all-new model and comes with three rows of seating, with optional bench or captain’s chairs in the second row. The SUV is built on a strengthened and extended version of the Subaru Global Platform with extensive use of high-strength steel. The Ascent platform is designed to provide a quiet interior and excellent driving feel. Powered by an all-new 2.4-liter BOXER engine, the Ascent comes standard with a new version of Subaru’s high-torque Lineartronic CVT (continuously variable transmission) and well-known Symmetrical All-Wheel-Drive system. The new U.S.-built (Lafayette, Indiana) Ascent will be available in base, Premium, Limited and Touring trim.
Ascent, with a 113.8-in. wheelbase, is the largest Subaru ever built. With 153.5 cubic feet of passenger volume, plus cargo space, the Ascent provides room for every passenger and their gear. Rear doors open 75 degrees for improved access to the third row. Eight USB charging ports are available throughout the cabin and a 120-volt power outlet based in the rear of the center console allow charging for multiple electronic devices. With 19 standard cup and bottle holders, every passenger’s beverage is secure and close at hand.
Standard three- zone automatic climate control has large air vents for all three rows. Second row reading lights are standard on all models with third row lights standard on Premium, Limited and Touring. Ambient and footwell lighting is also available throughout the cabin.
The Ascent features optional power-adjustable front seats with lumbar support and a length adjustment function for the driver seat cushion. Front and second row heated seats are available as part of the All-Weather Package for Premium models, while Limited and Touring trims add a heated steering wheel. Also standard on Touring models are ventilated driver and front passenger seats.
The new television spots, created by Carmichael Lynch on behalf of Subaru of America portray three “experiences” in which the Subaru Ascent excels as a family SUV:
- “Dream Big” – Two concerned parents struggling to reconnect with their teenage daughter set out to recapture her sense of wonder and rekindle her imagination in an effort to inspire her to dream big. The Ascent is big enough and capable enough to overcome any obstacle.
- “Big Day Out” – A precocious little girl leads a big family around town to visit her favorite spots. Three generations ride together in one 2019 Subaru Ascent, to share an afternoon filled with laughter, learning, and love.
- “Important Moments” – A father recalls a burst of tender family moments in an instant—precisely the time it takes his Subaru Ascent’s Driver Assist Technology safety feature to engage. As the flashbacks build to a tension-inducing crescendo, we’re snapped back to reality, only to breathe a sigh of relief knowing his overprotective Subaru stopped short of danger, saving his family and ensuring more precious memories to come.
These spots are available to view on Subaru of America’s YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/Subaru.
Starting at more than $32,000 – MPG 27/2
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive with X-MODE
- Three rows of flexible seating for 8 passengers
- Standard EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology
- Subaru Starlink Multimedia with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Raised roof rails
- 18-inch alloy wheels
Starting at more than $35,000 – MPG 27/21
Premium includes Ascent equipment and adds:
- Choice of second-row bench seat or captain’s chairs
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- 5,000 lb. towing capacity
- Subaru Starlink Safety and Security
- All-Weather Package w/ heated front seats
- Rear climate control panel