Take that Range Rover, BMW and especially the record-holder Alfa Romeo Stelvio: a Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S 4Matic+ is now the fastest series production SUV on the North Loop of Nürburgring with a notarized lap time of 7.49.369 minutes (Alfa 7 minutes 51.7 seconds).
The combined fuel consumption was 11.9 l/100 km, with combined CO2 emissions at 270 g/km. AMG development engineer Markus Hofbauer was at the wheel of a production eight-cylinder model that barely bettered the previous record time by Alfa on the first attempt.
The mid-size high-performance AMG SUV provides a decent platform for this lap time: a powerful, high-torque 4.0-liter V8 biturbo engine, an air suspension system with adaptively variable damping, the AMG Performance 4Matic+ all-wheel drive with fully variable torque distribution, the rear axle locking differential and the high-performance ceramic composite braking system.
Mercedes-Benz claims the GLC 63 S 4Matic+ is not only the top performer (really – is that the best you can do against an Alfa V6, under 3 seconds?), but also day-to-day usable: it has space for passengers and luggage, an adaptable interior, extensive safety features and a high level of long-distance comfort.
As is usual at Mercedes-AMG, the record lap was measured precisely by the independent “wige SOLUTIONS.” An independent notary also confirmed the lap time and that the vehicle’s condition was in accordance with regulations.
AutoInformed.com on Nürburgring Nordschleife
- Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio World’s Fastest SUV
- Porsche Sets Record 5 Minute 19.55 Lap Time at Nürburgring Nordschleife in Marketing Ploy with an outdated 919 Hybrid
- Porsche 911 Sets Nürburgring Nordschleife Record
- Bankrupt Nürburgring Track sold to Capricorn
- Camaro Z/28 Beats Porsche 911 Lap Time at Nürburgring
- Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Runs a 7:41.27 lap at Nürburgring